The Overworld War between the Gods and the Titans is but one of the conflicts between Legendary entities throughout the Cosmic Planes. Individuals and groups of Mythborn, Gods, Godborn, Titans or even humans (especially the Secret Societies) all constantly fight in a struggle for more power and control.
Pantheons and Power
Not all Pantheons are equal in power and status. Over the centuries, there have been many shifts in power, and different Pantheons acquire and keep power through different tactics.
The most powerful Pantheons are the Theoi, the Neter, and the Deva. All of them are respected for their age, their wide territory in the World (and as such, control of Souls), for counting the most powerful Gods - Zeus for the Greeks, Atum Re for the Egyptians, and the Trimurti of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva for the Hindu - and for exploiting their supply of Souls from the World efficiently and efficaciously.
Coming next is the Orisha, Celestial Bureaucracy, Teotl, and the Aesir. The Aesir and the Orisha also control a large territory, and use their Souls well, while making up their lesser firepower through having many allies (and vassals in the case of the Aesir). The Aztecs and the Celestial Bureaucracy have less pure Legend, but caught up in power through means considered distasteful by other Pantheons - human sacrifice for the Aztecs and the exploitation of Souls to serve the Common Good of the Bureaucracy for the Chinese.
After these greater players who have stood the test of time come less influential Pantheons, such as the Japanese pantheon. The Amatsukami is composed of ancient Mythborn who became Gods, thus having less raw power than the other pantheons and own a small territory but their wisdom and traditions along with their well-built alliances have kept them safe and independant. The Ayllus also survived to vassalization and obliteration by isolating themselves in the Overworld and taking active participation into the development of their civilization in the World (until the arrival of the conquistadors). The Nga Tama a Rangi, once part of the strongest pantheons, had to isolate themselves as well to avoid the thread of Fate after the First Titanomachy.
Meanwhile, some Pantheons have survived through becoming vassals to other Pantheons, such as the Tuatha Dé Danann and the Bogi Lyudei, which became vassals of the Aesir each for different reasons: the Celts to compensate their heavy losses after the Second Titanomachy, centuries of war and their eviction from the World by the Milesians and the Slavs due to their condition of nomads in the Overworld which became threaten by the turmoils of war.
Similarly, not all Gods are equal in terms of power, influence or knowledge. For more details, please check the TOP5 article.
Control of the World
After the First Titanomachy, the Pantheons of Gods took aggressive control of the World, dividing it between them and waging war on each other over every bit of influence. Until the Civil War was stopped by Merlin who edicted the Concordat of Stonehenge, a set of accords limiting the influence of the Gods over the World and thus putting an end to the ever-escalating bloodshed and forcing the Gods to use Godborns to vacate their power plays in the World.
After the genocide of the Native American Gods, North America was left as claimable land, and every Pantheon has attempted to increase their influence over it. The heads of most Pantheons accept this conflict, since it gives the most warlike and ambitious Gods a fighting ground to prevent escalation. Presently, the Aesir, Theoi and Teotl hold most of the territory of North America.
Pantheon territories have two types - ancestral ground, and protected ground. The first denotes an area where the Pantheon has complete power and control - Greece for the Theoi, or Egypt for the Neter. The second, however, is an area which has its own denizens or even Pantheons, which a greater Pantheon holds as a protector against the Titans. Protected land can change hands based on mutual agreement by the parties, though most Pantheons are reluctant to let go of any territory.
Controlling territory in the World is vital due to the ability to then send psychopomps (guides to the Dead) to gather Souls to the Pantheons' respective Underworlds. There, they are a vital resource, a font of potential Legend.
Each Pantheon uses this resource in their own way. For example:
- The Egyptians select the absolute best Souls, then force the rest into eternal faithful servitude under the control of those select few Souls, forming effective, obedient, organized cities and armies.
- The Norse - and their allies - have a martial attitude, elevating the best Souls to Valhalla as Einherjar, to fight for the Gods, while the weaker Souls become servants and allow the Gods to focus on training and fighting the Titans.
- The Greeks simply train the Souls, putting them to work in the Overworld in various positions alongside various immortals and Mythborn.
- The Chinese Pantheon purges them of their sins before reincarnating them over and over, until they are withdrawn from this cycle to serve as a peon in the great Bureaucracy in Tiàn.
- The Aztecs have a series of tough trials for souls which makes them very powerful, but allow them to rest, still ready to serve if needed.
- The Orisha and the Amatsukami train and develop their Souls into wise, powerful spirits then sent to guide future generations
- The Deva use a cycle of Reincarnation to allow the Souls to gain greater and greater power over lifetimes, ending up with fewer, but much more powerful, Souls.
- The Ayllus, Bogi Muzhchin and the Nga Tama a Rangi give their Souls a pleasant, peaceful afterlife, not using them to further their power. While a noble purpose, this is a factor in why these Pantheons have a weaker position compared to more pragmatic ones.
Control of Otherworlds
Otherworlds are more complicated in their ownership. Most Otherworlds are populated by Mythborn, but some have strategic value that has caused Titans and Gods to take an interest in them. For those with Mythborn powerful enough to challenge those entities, such as Fairie and the Jade Sea, then independance is possible. For others, being affiliated with a God, Pantheon or Titan is necessary. Finally, some Otherworlds have natural features making power plays by powerful entities impossible.
In particular importance to the Gods are The Impenetrable Citadel, under the guardianship of Heimdall. The Great Highway is under the joint leadership of Hermes and Legba, and is the main way of transport for troops and Godborn around the World, while Davy Jones' Locker is held by a Godborn of Manannàn mac Lir, Davy Jones himself, and so is protected by ancient Celtic spirits.
Meanwhile, the Secret Societies have some influence of their own in Otherworlds, with the Cabal entrenched in The Endless Sewer, the Circle of Merlin making its home deep in the Dark Forest, and the Illuminati having agents throughout The Spire.
With the rise of the Council of Babylon, Mythborn are getting an increasing influence in Divine Geopolitics.